nrpe 2.0 with AIX 4.3.2

w.pfeiffer at enbw.com w.pfeiffer at enbw.com
Wed Jan 28 08:49:51 CET 2004

Aaron Levitt wrote:
> Simon and anyone else that may care-
>
> I figured out the problem with nrpe and aix 4.3.2.  For some
> reason the "--inetd" flag was being read incorrectly by inetd.
> I changed:
>
> /usr/sbin/tcpd /sbin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
>
> to:
>
> /usr/sbin/tcpd /sbin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i
>
> and everything was fine from there on.  Just thought I'd post so that
> anyone else that comes along the same problem I did, won't
> spend so long searching for the solution.

inetd eating up arguments like this would be strange indeed.  But now
that you mention it my (admittedly shaky ;-) memory seems to recall
some posts on this list about the library for --long-arguments-like-this
not existing on AIX systems.  The fix was to simply comment out the
respective includes.

If you compiled your Nagios system using this fix all Nagios apps
(that depend on this lib) will only grok short options and silently
ignore the long ones; so you may also wish to check your other config
files (e.g. check command definitions) to verify that no other long
options have sneaked in that would cause strange behaviour in the
future.

(Sorry if I misremembered and the long options patch was for another
system than AIX, I could not find the original message in the mailing
list archives.)

Kind regards,
Wolfram Pfeiffer