check_tcp behavior

Bill James bill at ibill.no-ip.org
Tue Jan 27 21:16:24 CET 2004

Dylan,

  This actually was a very good question and raised a concern with me so
I looked at my Solaris servers to see if it was recording anything...I
have it checking ports for a homegrown script that starts multiple
instances of the Tangram Asset tracking software on about 50+ ports and
load balanced across several servers and in all the accounting logs for
Tangram that I checked I see no record of the plugin attempts but packet
captures are showing the plugin doing it's thing

I cannot answer for Windows as I am only monitoring Sun servers at this
point

My syslog is also recording the connections via the PIX firewall. All of
my remote connections are via VPN and completely logged

My question to your developers would be along the lines of: Is the
homegrown software expecting to see a particular kind of connection
attempt (IE..telnet, ftp, http, etc...) or is it just listening

Based on my packet captures, the plugin looks as though it is just
seeing if the port is open

Hope this helps a little

Bill James