Processor Load

Jamin Cleveland jamin at skyriver.net
Mon Jan 26 21:44:01 CET 2004

That's what I figured.  Thank you for the response.

Ok, so I have a configuration problem here.  I now have 1,100 + hosts being monitored for check-host-alive once per minute.  When I start Nagios, uptime(1) shows that my 1 minute load average rapidly climbs to around 13.  After about 5 minutes, the load settles to around 7.5, but obviously this is still way too high.

I currently only have 1 service setup with the following characteristics:
Template: generic-service
HostName: *
Check Period: *24/7
Notification Interval: 10
Service Notification Options: *Warning Critical Unreachable Recovery
Notification Period: *24x7
Check Command: check-host-alive
Max Check Attempts: *2
Normal Check Interval: 1
Retry Check Interval: *1

As you can see, this service is checked on all hosts (*) by default.

Questions:
[1] Is check-host-alive the best way to go for 1 minute check intervals on 1,100 hosts or should I go with something like fping?
[2] Nagios is compiled with MySQL support and I am using NagMIN.  Could the interaction with the MySQL DB be hindering performance?
[3] Would there be less load on the CPU if I break up my Services by Host Group?  Or should I create Service Groups in NagMIN and use those?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem would be most welcome.

-Jamin