Config management solutions

Matthew Wilson matthewwilson at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jan 26 14:12:45 CET 2004

Hello List,
I am looking for a web-based config management solution. I am very happy
editing the config files by hand (and also using a couple of perl
scripts I've written), but I need to allow non-sysadmin people to be
able to add hosts and change basic stuff like IP addresses and move
hosts about between hostgroups.   We also use Apan extensively, mostly
for ping RTT and packet loss, but also for some other custom stuff.
I currently have a script that will add a host, ping service, apan
config and create an rrd.  I would probably like to be able to still use
this.

Stuff I've seen:
Nawui - installed this yesterday.  Looks like it will (eventually) do
what we need but is not very pretty at the moment and has quite a few
missing bits and bugs.   Also using my script would require config to be
re-imported.

Nagat - looks quite stable but perhaps a bit basic.  On first glance no
extinfo support which is vital for us.

Nagmin - looks like it would time-consuming to install (I do have mysql
running but not webmin).  Also it does loads of things we don't need.
Potentially its stats features could replaced apan (and hence remove the
need for my script)

Other solutions?

It would also be nice if whatever I chose would be compatible with
nagios 2.0, although I don't intend to make the move soon.

I would appreciate any insights and experience with the above tools

Thanks
Matthew Wilson
DC-Sat.net