Where have the cgi gone?

WDougallJR at nwdtc.com WDougallJR at nwdtc.com
Mon Jan 26 19:55:40 CET 2004

> I expect an end user to have a basic grasp of those subjects but I do
> not expect that they fully understand all the intracacies of a
> software package that they are installing for the first time.

>I don't expect anyone to fully understand software they are installing
>for the first time.  I DO expect somebody who ought to be a fairly
>experienced *nix admin installing software that is only of use to
>experienced *nix admins to have some minimal knowledge of *nix.  I don't
>expect the petrol pump attendant to know where the filler cap is on a
>car he's never seen before, but I do expect him not to just pump petrol
>through the open sun roof because he doesn't know where the filler cap
>is.  YMMV...

On those new cars how do the petrol attendants learn where the filler cap
is?  Do they RTFM?  No, they politely ask the driver where it is.  The
driver does not throw the manual at them and say RTFM.  I hope.

>This is not an "I am new to Linux and need help" list, this is
>supposedly an "I am a real *nix admin and want to do seriously geeky
>things because I work for an ISP" list.

Are ISP's and IT groups the only people you can think of that might benefit
from having a Nagios installation?  Have you ever sat down and thought of
everything that Nagios could be used for?  For example:

Ever think that maybe a warehouse, print shop, small/large grocery store,
local post office, schools, and libraries might be interested in it?  The
last three I suppose could raise your taxes more to pay for it to be
installed.  Otherwise they may not have the budget for a *nix admin but may
have a real need for such software.  I don't remember reading anywhere in
the doc's that you had to be an *nix admin to install this.  So guess what,
in an effort to save money the manager/teacher/business owner/maybe even
your gas station attendant gets to install it and configure it.  Oh BTW
he/she never went to college for software devel or support.  A.K.A.
clueless.  May not of even heard of google.  But through some luck he/she
stumbled upon this excellent cost effective software. They might have even
been handed some disk with the source on them and told to make it work.  Why
does he/she not deserve free support on free software from a free list.

>I expect a *nix admin to know
>what "could not stat /usr/local/nagios/sbin/statusmap.cgi" means or at
>least to be able to figure it out without first seeing if the animated
>paperclip has an answer.

Why can't the animated paperclip tell us that?  If it's such rudimentary
info as you make it out to be then why not have the magic paperclip give us
that answer and get on with the world?  Instead you would rather waste your
time telling us how the world turns.

William Dougall
Systems Support

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

any issue.