Check for HP Printers

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jan 21 23:01:43 CET 2004

Michael Tucker writes:

> Ok, now I'm curious. Maybe I'm being a dummy; or maybe we're not running
> the same version of Nagios (and Nagios plugins).

More possibly we're not running the same OS and you're missing a
dependency required for it to be built, in which case it gets omitted.
There is no warning at the end about omitted plugins, so unless you happen
to notice it scroll past you'll never know what you're missing - unless
you look in the plugins and plugin-scripts directories of the plugins
source package.

The only dependency this one lists in comments in the source is snmpget,
but there may be other dependencies.

You may also be missing a few other plugins because of missing
dependencies.

> I ran each of those with "-h" and looked for something to do with
> JetDirect, HP printers, or even just printers in general.

Trust me, you'd spot it by *name* if it were there.  It's a no-brainer.
Even without me telling you that there was something to check HP
printers, if you saw the name that would be the first thing you'd think
it did.

> By the way, running "check_breeze -h", "check_ifoperstatus -h" and
> "check_ifstatus -h" produces interesting results. :-)

Yeah, they're the painful way of doing it requiring esoteric knowledge
of SNMP MIB OIDs.  One day, I'm going to have to figure out enough of
that to monitor some Cisco routers at a client site.  I'm putting off
that day for as long as possible. :)

There's also some interesting stuff in the contrib directory of the
plugins package.  Plugins that have rough edges and/or haven't been
integrated into the standard plugins yet, but some of them may be
useful to you.  I haven't played with all of those yet, I only look
in there when there's something I want to monitor that isn't covered
by a standard plugin.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support