check_by_ssh

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jan 21 03:33:31 CET 2004

Hi Scott

Scott Moynes writes:

> While it may not be useful for you, Paul, I thought my solution to a
> similarly silly requirement from The Powers That Be

If only they left the technical solutions to the techies...

> might be helpful to other list readers.

I disagree with this particular solution on technical grounds (I
think, because it's 2:27 in the morning and I'm drunk so I'm not
sure).

> I used nrpe through stunnel's

My drunken recollection of stunnel is that it tunnels tcp over tcp
and therefore suffers from exponential backoffs.  I could be wrong on
this, but I'm pretty sure I dismissed stunnel as a VPN technology
years ago,  Using a VPN technology to do this sort of thing is a
good solution, if only there were a VPN technology I believed to be
worthy.  My PHB thinks that PPTP is wonderful, which tells you all
you need to know about my PHB...

I think this is something Nagios needs to deal with.  Yeah, I'm on
the crappy end of a PHB who insists that the monitoring system is on
a box with a changeable IP, but I can't (I hope) be the only one.
--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support