check_by_ssh

Scott Moynes smoynes at nerdnest.org
Tue Jan 20 21:54:19 CET 2004

* Paul L. Allen (pla at softflare.com) wrote:
> My PBH wanted the monitoring software on a machine at his
> home/office.  Which is on the end of a cable modem.  Which means the
> IP can and does change.  One of the reasons I switched from nrpe to
> check_by_ssh was that the only security on nrpe comes from
> tcpwrappers, and that's not feasible when the monitoring host's IP
> can change.

While it may not be useful for you, Paul, I thought my solution to a similarly
silly requirement from The Powers That Be might be helpful to other
list readers.

I used nrpe through stunnel's inetd mode SSL certificates to provide
strong authentication. A similar solution to check_by_ssh and ssh
keypairs but with the niceties of not having a user account on the
monitored host and integrating with our certificate authority. For
some reason, which is now lost to me, I couldn't use certificates with
nrpe's SSL support.

Hope that is helpful,
--
Scott Moynes
"Computer science is as much about computers