redundancy and services

Mark Dalton mwd at cray.com
Tue Jan 20 15:19:41 CET 2004

Caution: I am new to Nagios, I just got it running (with help from the
list reading
others questions).   Linux boxes and Irix boxes (next is Sun and AIX and
Crays hopefully).
   I have NSCA/Nagios on the Irix boxes (I have to do more work to get
NRPE running on old
   Irix), and NRPE running on Linux and Nagios 2.0 on the server (to
support the Passive
   checks).

Nagios 1.1 does not support passive checks, so you need to upgrade to
Nagios 2.0.

The status would probably be incorrect because if you have
'retain_status_information'
set to '1'.   And if it does not get a update, it is assumed to be down.
 If this is
truely a passive service.  You may want to set this to be a active
service from
the server versus passive (nsca).  I have a template for 'local-server'
versus
'remote-servers'.

So for the servers nagios.cfg for the remote servers I have:
    active_checks_enabled             0
    retain_status_information         0

# Generic service definition template
define service{
        name                            local-server ; The 'name' of
this service template, referenced in other service definitions
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks
are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service             0       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler
is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0       ;
        }

# Generic service definition template
define service{
        name                            remote-servers ; The 'name' of
this service template, referenced in other service definitions
        active_checks_enabled           0       ; Active service checks
are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               0       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service             0       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler
is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       0       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0       ;
        }

For the slave I have pretty much the same as Basile sent to you.

Mark