parent host relatiionship

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 20 03:46:37 CET 2004

Hi Matt,

Let say we have this topology:

  Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

                     nagios server
                        +-----+
                        |     |
                        |     |
                        |     |
                        |     |
                        +-----+

                           |link-A

                          /--\
                         |    | router-A
                         |    \
                         /\--/ \\
                        /        \
           link-AB     /          \\ link-AC
                     //             \
                    /                \
               /--\/                  \ /--\
    router-B  |   /|                   |    |
              |    |                   |    | router-C
               \+-/                     \-+/
                |                         |
       +--------+---+                +----+--------+
       |            |                |             |
       |            |                |             |
       |            |              +-+-+         +-+-+
     +-++         +-++             |   |         |   |
     |  |         |  |             +---+         +---+
     |  |         |  |            --------      --------
     |  |         |  |
     |  |         |  |                 workstations
     +--+         +--+

   svr-A          srv-B

What I want to happen is receive notifications only if srv-A or srv-B is
really down. Also, what I want is to not get tons of notifications if hosts
are behind a down parent. So something like this message is what I want to
receive:

1. router-A or router-B is down
2. svr-a or svr-B is unreachable
3. or svr-a/svr-B is down

Can you give me an example of how a host should be configured in hosts.cfg
this way?

I am seeing now the power of Nagios after reading your POST. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ronneil