Checking CPU Utilization

rob at capband.net rob at capband.net
Mon Jan 19 23:49:19 CET 2004

> I'm looking for a light weight command which will return current cpu
> percentages and then quits like uptime, but with percentages and not load?
> What I'd ideally like to do is to combine this tool with NRPE and mrtg so I
> can graph the %CPU usage on compute servers our students use to run jobs.

If your OS supports it, "sar" is the answer. There's cpusar, mpsar, etc., that aggregate stats on cpu, mem usage, disk usage, io percent, wait percent, etc. Also, "sar" by itself will spit back cpu usage on an hourly and 15 minute basis for off- and on-work hours (i.e. every 15 minutes between 8-5, hourly otherwise). A handy utility.