Checking CPU Utilization

Mark Reis mcr2z at cs.virginia.edu
Mon Jan 19 22:22:06 CET 2004

I'm doing this for Solaris and Linux. I understand that load is a true
indication of the stress. The reason I want to monitor %CPU is that I work
for a Computer Science Department at a University and we have multiple
machines that are for processing jobs. Most of the jobs that students run
are CPU intensive, but they don't drive the load up very high. So what I
would like to do is provide a web page that students can go and see at a
glace which compute servers are idle.

Thanks to Jason Martin for suggesting iostat, which does exactly what I
want. The problem I had with top is that on our Solaris boxes, it takes a
while for the %CPU fields to populate and sometimes they are blank.

I appreciate all of the help from the list.

-Mark