HP-UX nrpe permissions

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Jan 19 17:03:06 CET 2004

> I downloaded precompiled version of the nrpe agent from
> www.bennyvision.com
> <http://www.bennyvision.com/>

Note, I have a request in the middle of that page asking people with
problems to ask _me_ first, before going to the list.  :)  That's just
so the entire list isn't bothered if it turns out I'm a bonehead.  ;)
I don't want a problem with my build to tie up the experts' time.

> The agent is running fine without inetd daemon, and the permissions for
> the
> Nagios host are configured in the conf file.
>
> There's no problem If I run a local test of the plug-in (for example:
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 150 -c 200) on the agent host
>
> The problem is when I call the agent from the Nagios host. The message is:
>
> CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes.  Are we allowed to connect to the host?

The NRPE build on my site wasn't compiled with any funky options or
anything, just SSL disabled.  Are you trying to use SSL?

Can you telnet to the NRPE port from your Nagios machine?

Benny

--
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your
children, and hitting them?"                   -- Bender, "Futurama"