setup problems

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 15 16:56:54 CET 2004

andy <mailto:andy at accelerate.uk.com> shared with us:

> Hi there, Im am trying to set up nagios and have been reasonably
> successful with it so far.
> However, I have come accross an issue I cant find any info on in the
> FAQ so Ill ask here.
>
> I get this in the nagios logs:
>
> [1074161796] Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive
> 'contact_groups'. [1074161796] Error: Could not add object property
> in file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg' on line 24.

[snip]

> Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups'.
> write_to_console() end
> write_to_logs_and_console() end
> write_to_logs_and_console() start
> write_to_all_logs() start
> write_to_syslog() start
> write_to_log() start
> write_to_all_logs() end
> write_to_console() start
> Error: Could not add object property in file
> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg' on line 24.
>

> I have grepped the src for contact_groups and its there, so it is
> meant to be there.
>
> Anyone got any idea's as to why these errors are occuring?

It sounds like you might be using 2.0alpha out of CVS. Contact_groups
are no longer valid objects in hostgroup definitions --

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/nagios/nagios/html/docs
/xodtemplate.html#hostgroup

If you are, and you're asking this question, you should probably be
aware that 2.0 is not complete yet, especially the documentation so
YMMV.

--
Marc