shared ip on the same host

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Wed Jan 14 17:27:48 CET 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Chuck wrote:

> Is there a way of consolidating this? I dont think a multiple address listing
> under one host would work even if it were allowed simply because there is no
> way to tell the individual tests which address to use for which test.
>
> or did i miss something important here?

No, you've got it right on the money.

I have a few hosts that have multiple IPs on them, with services that only
listen to individual IPs (probably much like your setup).  For example, one of
my hosts has three IPs on it -- the main interface, and two aliases: one which
has a web server listening; and another with an SMTP server.  My solution was
to create three hosts, and list the primary host as the parents of the other
two.  You'll still have to create extended info for all three hosts in order
to set the icons in the status map, but at least it will be clear from looking
at the map that the other two hosts are virtual, not real hosts.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110