host group escalations

andy proctor andyjproctor at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:27:14 CET 2004

Have a few services for each of my NT hosts one of which is defined as
follows (generic-workhours having it's contact_groups set to 'firstline'):

define service{
        use                   generic-workhours
        hostgroup_name        internal-crit-win,internal-gen-win
        service_description   NT_NSClient
        notification_interval 30
        check_command         check_nt_services!NSClient
}

Have done this:

define hostgroupescalation{
        hostgroup_name        internal-crit-unix,internal-crit-win
        contact_groups        secondline
        first_notification    3
        last_notification     0
        notification_interval 31
}

All groups are valid, but the services don't get escalated which are running
on the hosts in the above groups.

Contacts seem fine as all contacts have the same notification periods, etc.
regardless of which group they are in, and also the groups are set up the
same, just with different names and members.

What I was trying to achieve was escalation of services on particular hosts
without the need to define everything seperately in terms of services and
hosts. Am I doing this the wrong way i.e. is the hostgroupescalation aimed
at just escalating the host's state? All I want to do is notify first line
support and then if it's not fixed also start telling second line about it.

I looked at the service escalations but it would appear that you can only
specify single hosts (or comma seperated lists of hosts) looking at the
docs.

John Boocock
Academy Payment Collection & Income Management
Capita Software Services
Tel: 0870 162 7800 / 07801 136 804
Email: john.boocock at capita.co.uk
www.acadinfo.co.uk