Posting etiquette [DEAD THREAD]

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jan 14 02:55:56 CET 2004

Joe Rhett writes:

> You didn't criticize, you attacked.

And the salient difference, according to your dictionary is?

> Defining that someone is an idiot based on your own criteria does not
> make it an objective fact.

And where, exactly, did I claim it to be an objective fact?  Please
use your threading mailer to find that post of mine and quote it
back to me.

Here's a hint.  Unless I state that something is a fact, it is my
opinion.  That's the way normal human beings work.  Because I
presented evidence supporting my opinion, that does not make my
opinion objective fact either.  The evidence may be objective fact
(or you may dispute it, which you did not).  The logic of my arguments
may be false (but you did not dispute that either).  It is my opinion,
based upon objective evidence (that you have not disputed) and upon
logical inferrences (that you have not disputed) made from that evidence
that you are an idiot.  Only those who hold my evidence to be factual
and my logic to be correct would agree with my opinion.

> Given that more than 90% of the "facts" you stated were not advanced or
> even mentioned by me, you were actually talking about something or
> someone other than me in the first place.

Right. You say X and I point out that X implies Y when Y cannot be
true and you counter by saying you never mentioned Y.  Some of us
have threading newsreaders (you, for one, claims to have such) and
can check which of us said what.  Some people (mentioning no names) claim
to have plonked me several posts ago yet are still responding to me.

[...]
> And mostly, just employing barely-hidden insults

I resent that remark.  If I insult somebody, I don't hide it.  You
have PROVEN yourself to be an idiot and a liar in this thread (hint,
you plonked me several posts ago).

> and yet more direct attacks.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

> Michael, either put these extended personal diatribes to an end, or I'll
> cease participating in this list and/or offering patches to Nagios.  I
> don't care if they are here, or what they say ... so long as it stops
> being personal attacks and insults.

It is entirely impersonal.  The only thing I know about you is how you
have responded here and I have given my opinions on your comments here.
No matter what my connection with the list moderator, I would NEVER
try to exert influence upon unfavourable comments.  If I am wrong, then
people can post pointing out my errors and laugh at me; if I am right
then people will laugh at those who attack me.

Hey, you quoted yet another load of unnecessary material without stripping
it.  Anyone with a threading newsreader can tell that I am telling the
truth about this.  IN MY OPINION, anyone who quotes unnecessary material
is an arrogant idiot. This is only my opinion, but objective facts and
logic support my opinion...

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support