Nagios Status Map - Center of the universe

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 12 22:59:16 CET 2004

--On Monday, January 12, 2004 3:54 PM -0600 "Ing. Alexandro Conde Mtz"
<acm at fonetglobal.com> wrote:

> At 03:45 p.m. 12/01/2004, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>

>> Which is how I have ours, but that only works with *1* nagios server,
>> not  *2*, where they are on different switches, in completely different
>> locations.  You are entirely missing the point I am making here, in that
>> it is NOT possible currently to build correct status maps for 2 nagios
>> servers in a failover environment.
>
> All is relative, if you create your configuration files correctly, the
> status maps are correct in both nagios servers, but not equals.
>
> That's what I see in your point.

Not really -- They should be able to use the same configuration files for
hosts/services.  However, I cannot do that, because then all the parent
relationships are wrong.  It would be a major pain to create 2 sets of
configuration files for the hosts/services just to have the mappings right
for 2 nagios servers.  And then, if I happen to need to *move* either of
them, I'm going to have to change a number of parents yet again.  I rather
see nagios be *smart* and build the universe based of knowing its parent,
and the parents of all the other systems.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer