Nagios Status Map - Center of the universe

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Mon Jan 12 22:47:59 CET 2004

> --On Monday, January 12, 2004 1:09 PM -0800 Jason Martin
> <jhmartin at toger.us> wrote:
>

> > I believe any host that does not have a parent specified is
> implicitly a
> > child of Nagios.
>
> This doesn't solve anything, because almost none of my hosts
> are children
> of Nagios -- They are children of the switch to which they
> are connected,
> many of which live far away from the Nagios service.
> Specifying no parent
> just means that Nagios thinks they are all on the same switch.
>
> --Quanah

Quanah,
If your hosts are all children of the same switch, then make them
children of the switch. Then make the box that Nagios runs on the parent
of said switch. I'm not sure I see the problem? Any host without a
parent will indeed have the Nagios process as a parent. Although if you
are using User Supplied Coordinates to layout the statusmap, it may not
appear that way.

To give you an example, I've attached two files, that show partial
statusmap images of two different networks that I montior, both using
user-supplied coordinates. As you can see, there is no Nagios Process in
this layout.

In the nagios1.jpg, monitor2, the box which hosts Nagios, has no parent
and therefore appears in the green target. Nagios1.jpg is a box on a
switch, and the switch is monitored, so it's parent is listed as
'monitor2'. As for the rest of the devices, if Device A is separated
from the Nagios process/monitor2 by Device B, then Device B is therefore
the parent of Device A.

In the nagios2.jpg, netmon1 is the box which hosts Nagios. It also has
no parent and therefore appears in the green target. Since I'm not
monitoring the switch that it connects to, I've left the parent
directive empty for the other two monitored boxes in that subnet.
Therefore, they also appear in green targets. I read somewhere in the
docs that this was the preferred method for hosts on the same subnet (no
parents), although now I can no longer locate this in the docs. Perhaps
someone out there knows what I'm talking about and can point us in the
right direction.

HTH.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)