Fw: SNMP Traps

Neal.Starr at cox.com Neal.Starr at cox.com
Mon Jan 12 18:43:42 CET 2004

You may also want to take a look at http://snmptt.sourceforge.net

There are steps on that website on how to integrate vendor SNMP MIB files with snmptrapd, Nagios, and then get SNMP-TT to translate them to human-readable form.  It has the ability to allow you to have SNMP-TT execute commands and programs in response to traps received if you so wish.  Using this is the right way, you can set what notification levels a particular trap with set off when it is received and processed into Nagios.  Alex has done a very nice job with this piece of software.

I use it currently in conjunction with Nagios to collect traps from 200+ or so devices in our network and it works very nicely.  Used with Nagios' check_ifstatus, and check_snmp plugins, it makes for a very nice poor-man's OpenView.

Neal Starr
Data Engineer, BSCS, CCNA
Cox Communications - Kansas
316-260-7311