dependency checking confusion

gillian bennett gillian.bennett at celentia.com
Mon Jan 12 14:35:39 CET 2004

Hi,

I am having some problems with the dependency checking for my nagios
setup. I guess I am a little confused as to the meaning of some of the
options. What I am trying to achieve is that if the host is unpingable,
then none of the other services (diskcheck, dhcp etc) will not be
checked and will not be reported on. So no notifications will be sent
out for any other services for that host if it is unpingable.

one of my dependency.cfg stanzas looks like this:
define servicedependency{
        host_name                       HOST1
        service_description             PING
        dependent_host_name             HOST1
        dependent_service_description   dhcp
        execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c   ; These are the criteria
for which check execution will be supressed
        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c   ; These are the criteria
for which notifications will be supressed
        }

I am confused as to what the execution_failure_criteria actually refers
to. the comment seems to say it is the suppression of the check of the
dependant service, not the service depended upon. But the doco seems to
imply the other way around.

Either way, when this host is unpingable, I still get notifications
regarding all other services for this host, which I dont' want.

Thanks, Gillian