Distributed monitoring, need help with config

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Thu Jan 8 18:16:27 CET 2004

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 06:04  PM, MagAdmin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In ------nrpe.cfg------ of "monhost" you must have the line: (my
> current setting sample)
>
> command[check_users]=/home/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 15 -c 20
>
> then in ------service.cfg------ you must have the line like this:
>
> ----- services.cfg -----
>
> define service{
>       use   generic-service   ; Name of service template to use
>       host_name               monhost
>       service_description           Current Users
>       is_volatile                   0
>       check_period                  24x7
>       max_check_attempts      3
>       normal_check_interval   5
>       retry_check_interval          2
>       contact_groups          admins
>       notification_interval         240
>       notification_period           24x7
>       notification_options          w,u,c,r
>       check_command           check_nrpe!check_users
>       }
>
> In your ----- checkcommands.cfg ----- define:
>
> # 'check_nrpe' command definition
>
> define command{
>       command_name      check_nrpe
>       command_line      $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
>       }
>
> to test this setting, from your "distserv" type:
>
> # ./check_nrpe -H monhost -c check_users
>
> Phu Nguyen.

Thanks, Phu! That helped a lot. My distributed server is now showing
the correct status (that of the monitored host); before this fix, it
was showing its *own* status.

But my central server is still not showing the correct status. I
changed its config files (checkcommands.cfg and services.cfg) to match
those on the distributed server exactly (which is what the distributed
monitoring documentation with PCGen tells you to do), and now I get
"(No output!)" for each service monitored.

For the benefit of anyone else who might want to help: This is the
first time I've tried to set up Nagios, and it almost all works. Nrpe
doesn't work with SSL enabled (this is being investigated in another
thread), and I still don't have the distributed monitoring set up
correctly (which is the point of this thread). But other than that,
everything is working.

I'm starting out simple: I have one central server, one distributed
server, and one monitored host, which are all on the same LAN. The
distributed server is collecting status information from the monitored
host (using check_nrpe/nrpe), and is supposed to be forwarding that
status information to the central server (using send_nsca/nsca). Both
nsce and nrpa are running under inetd/tcpd. Both appear to run without
generating any errors, but the status isn't showing up on the central
server. Clearly, I've got something configured incorrectly (I'm
guessing with either nsca or the Nagios config on the central server,
but I can't see what).

It's true that the central server can easily connect directly to the
monitored host in this situation, but that isn't the point; I'm trying
to figure out how to configure it for the real-world setup described
above. This will be necessary when I begin to deploy this solution for
my employer's customers, whose hosts we will be monitoring, and who are
*very* concerned about the security of their local networks.

Can someone help me out, here?

Thanks,
Michael