NRPE 2.0 and AIX 5.1, issues with SSL anyone?

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Mon Jan 5 22:07:19 CET 2004

On Monday, January 5, 2004, at 06:27  AM, Chris Stephens wrote:
> Hi All,
> Has anyone else had any issues running NRPE 2.0 on AIX 5.1? I seem to
> be
> running into an SSL issue with the server piece that I have been
> unable to
> resolve.
>
> I'm building against OpenSSL 0.9.7c with gcc 2.9. The client piece
> works
> great. No issues at all with it. However, the server will not perform a
> SSL handshake. No matter what I try it just doesnt seem to like any
> connections. I always get a handshake failure of some sort. This same
> build configuration works great in my linux environment. This seems to
> be
> specific to AIX. Anyone else seen this?
>
> Regards and thanks,
>
> Chris Stephens
> cstephens at distributedtechtonics.com

Hi, Chris:

You are not alone, and the problem is not confined to AIX. I'm running
NRPE 2.0 on Solaris 9, and have exactly the same problem. (Search
handshake error".) For completeness:

Solaris 9 (on the monitored host, the distributed server and the
central server)
Nagios 1.1
NSCA 2.4
NRPE 2.0

With SSL enabled, I get the following result:
> # ./check_nrpe -H {host to monitor} -c {some command, such as
> check_load}
> CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

I get the same result whether I run nrpe as a standalone daemon on the
monitored host, or through inetd/tcpd (with tcp wrappers). For what
it's worth, I settled on running it with tcp wrappers, since that works
fine as long as SSL is not enabled.

I have been asking for help since December 19, but never did receive a
helpful suggestion from anyone on this list. I finally just recompiled
NRPE with --disable-ssl. It works now, and I was able to configure and
test the rest of the system (nsca, send_nsca, nagios, apache, etc.),
but without SSL support.

I would be very interested in hearing something helpful from someone. I
suspect that there is a bug in recent versions of NRPE, since it seems
that there are folks out there using older versions who aren't having
this problem.

Michael