List management

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 22:01:06 CET 2004

    >> Instead of many people fiddling about the proper configuration of
    >> their spam filters the problem is solved centralized. That's far more
    >> efficient.

    Bill> It may seem more efficient to the list user, but someone has to
    Bill> spend time moderating. If the moderation process is slow
    Bill> (moderator overloaded, too much spam, what have you), then the
    Bill> list conversation is slowed as well.

[Way OT, but I offer this for people who might be discouraged from
volunteering to help moderate this list by the above msg.]

I help administer the python-help mailing list.  At times of extremely high
virus transmission rates the moderators' mailboxes fill with email held for
approval, sometimes several hundred per day.  I got tired enough of the
rather inadequate Mailman interface in this area that I broke down and wrote
a simple script (mmdiscard.py) to submit "discard" requests for pending
requests.  It's crude but effective.  Basically, you make a pass through the
pending requests and approve any which need explicit approval or rejection.
The remainder will be stuff you want to simply discard.  Feed that page to
mmdiscard's stdin and it quickly empties the queue.  No direct (shell)
access to the Mailman server is required.  It just does HTTP submissions.

If you're interested in mmdiscard.py, it's at

    http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/python/mmdiscard.py

Note that I've only tested it against a Mailman 2.1 server.  It might or
might not work with earlier versions.  YMMV.

Also, for those of you in the non-moderation camp, check out SpamBayes in my
.sig.  Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html
skip at pobox.com