List management

Christine Kronberg Christine_Kronberg at genua.de
Mon Jan 5 20:41:34 CET 2004

On Mon, 6 Jan 2004, Jamie Baddeley wrote:

> I agree with Sebastian.
>
> I've been on the list a few years now, and I see no reason to moderate
> it. I don't think the problem is big enough to warrant it. Someone had a
> dodgy autoresponder over the xmas break. Big Deal. Time to take a chill
> pill.

  That autoresponder is just one thing. If this was the only trouble
  I would agree. But even then, why whould everyone got a "I'm not
  in my office"  note ever and ever again only because people are
  not able or not willing to configure their vacation programs correctly?
  Either something has to be done automatically (and I doubt that this
  can be performed so easily) or some has to look over it. So we are
  back to moderation.

> This is one of the best behaved, self regulated lists I've been on. I
> prefer a distributed, self regulated Internet. Having said that I don't
> disagree with Wayne Mery's suggestion if it gets really bad. But I
> should point out that this thread (list management and autoresponder
> complaints) has generated more noise than anything (which sadly, I am
> contributing to). Can I kindly and respectfully request a "kill thread"?

  Without a moderator? Good luck.  ;-)
  Although not entirely on-topic - on which list would you discuss
  moderation of that list with all members if not on that list?

  Have fun,

                                                           Chris.