Question about status changes

nagios at loplof.de nagios at loplof.de
Mon Jan 5 14:07:39 CET 2004

Hello list,

I'm running a nagios checkout from december. I have ~120 hosts configured and
per host one service, e.g.

define service{
     use                     PING300/1200
     host_name               cc231-lpa-as10
     }

PING300/1200 is just a ping check with warning/critical set to 300/1200.
This morning I found one of my hosts in critical state:
The host status was critical, with the following message:
Critical: Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
BUT the service for this host was in warning state only. Running the plugin
manually verified the warning level. After at least two hours, the host changed
state to ok.
Two questions:
1) Why is the host state different from the state of its only service?
2) The ping command when run manually (with the command line parameters that
   check_ping is using) takes 12 seconds to time out, when checking a host
   that does not respond.
   Is changing service_reaper_frequency from 10 to 13 the "right" solution?

   Thanks
       Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>