Stats of Nagios load?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Feb 27 18:54:52 CET 2004

On Friday, February 27, 2004 11:05 AM, Cal Lidderdale shared with us:

> Has anyone done a study as to the amount of system load Nagios does.
>  From what I can "see" the answer is small.   But I've got someone who
> likes "numbers"  :-\

Just my 0.02 but this is going to be highly personal depending on how
many hosts and services you're checking, how often you are checking
them, _how_ you are checking them, what the plugin timeouts are, how
often you process results of the checks _and_ what type of hardware
Nagios running on.

400 hosts and 600 services checked every 5 minutes using a check command
that is a perl script (and therefor launches a perl interpreter for
every check unless you've compiled in epn) is going to be more expensive
than 10 hosts and 20 services every 10 minutes with check_ping.

As with any program, the more you're doing with it and the more often
you're doing it, the more load it's going to put on the system. There is
no calculation that can help you determine what load a given
installation of Nagios, or any software for that matter, is going to
provide nor can anyone provide you with a specific 'load number.'

Now, I _can_ say that I have a PIII 800, 512 megs of RAM + SCSI array
running Nagios checking 1186 services, most are check_ping but a good
20% are custom perl checks at 5 minute intervals and load is usually <
1.

--
Marc