compatibility with V6

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Fri Feb 27 07:31:17 CET 2004

On 2004-02-26T10:53:40+0530, prabhu.anandh at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> I appreciate your help.But the status shows me that It is in critical
> state.this is what I exactly get

> ipv63  PING  CRITICAL 02-26-2004 10:55:24 0d 0h 2m 53s 1/3  PING
> CRITICAL - Host not found (xxxx::xxx:xx:xx:xxx:xxx)

This looks like you are trying to ping the v6 address with the v4
command, and the script thinks that the v6 address is a hostname.  Not
gonna work...

> To be precise,I am running nagios in dual stack(v4/v6).and I am able to
> ping6 from both host.

Same here... dual stack FreeBSD (KAME).

> Since for v6 we have to use ping6, do we have to make some changes in
> the service.cfg and checkcommands.cfg and by adding new service like
> PING_6. then I am only able to ping6 using that -I ethX option.if we
> have to include this,please help me how to include.

Yep, I use a custom ping6.pl script for v6 hosts.  Here it is...

--8<-----
#!/usr/bin/perl

$ping = `/sbin/ping6 -c 1 $ARGV[0] | grep icmp_seq`;
$ping =~ s/(.*time=)(.*) (ms|usec)//;

print $2;
--8<-----

I should also mention that I am running this on FreeBSD.  If you are
using something else, then surely the command syntax will be different.

--
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=&%C=\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'