Plugin source?? et-al

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 26 23:31:33 CET 2004

On Thursday, February 26, 2004 4:00 PM, Cal Lidderdale shared with us:

> I've written a plugin called check_summ_ct - it starts:
> ( I'll convert to csc.c later )
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>     date  >> /tmp/pup.out
>     echo "$1 $2 $3 $4." >> /tmp/pup.out
>     echo "-----" >> /tmp/pup.out
>
>     [ call: expect... telnet ... count things ... return ...]  that
>     works fine.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> services.cfg ... device def{ ...  has:
>            check_command            check_summ_ct!1!2
>
> command.cfg has
> command[check_summ_ct]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_summ_ct -H
> $HOSTADDRESS$
>
> ---------------------------------
>  The HOSTADDRESS never gets passed to the plugin.   The plugin "runs"
> but
> nothing gets passed

This looks absolutely right _presuming_ that your nagios installation
was compiled to use the old-style configs. I have to assume that it was
since you state that the plugin is running. I would expect $1 to contain
'-H' and $2 to contain the host address as substituted by Nagios.  Is $1
correct? If not, then there is something else wrong and we don't have
enough information to determine what it is. The '1' and '2' are never
passed to your script. You would need to use $ARG1$ and $ARG2$ as part
of your command definition to pass those.

What version of Nagios are you using?

> > > Also B. what's the derivation of  Nagios?
> > >

> No, what does Nagios mean - your cats name?
>   Natural Algrorithum for Gathering Input Output Stuff?

The FAQ the Subhendu pointed you to was pretty straightforward --

"The official meaning is that N.A.G.I.O.S. is a recursive acronym which
stands for "Nagios Ain't Gonna Insist On Sainthood". It's a spoof on the
software's previous name of "NetSaint", which I decided to abandon after
it caused me much emotional distress. "