Return code 127 - Make sure the plugin you're trying...

Simon Kitching simon at ecnetwork.co.nz
Wed Feb 25 00:50:26 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 12:08, Cal Lidderdale wrote:
> I downloaded nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.9.i386.rpm and installed
> ( to /usr/lib/nagios/plugins )  but all I get from nagios.log is:
>
>     * EXTERNAL COMMAND: SCHEDULE_HOST_SVC_CHECKS;linux_r10;1077662416
>
>     *Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'PING' on
>       host 'linux_r10' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're
>       trying to run actually exists.
>
> When I run check_ping -H 123.45.6.7  it works just fine.  I just can't
> get Nagios
> to use/find the plugins.  Up to that point everything is working fine.  :-)

Are you running check_ping while logged in as user "nagios"?

All Nagios plugins return:
 0 == success
 1 == warning
 2 == critical
 3 == unknown

And "-1" (aka "127") is commonly returned by the OS when "exec" is done
to run an application but it can't be found. So it sure looks likely
that when Nagios goes to run check_ping, the command cannot be found.

On my installation of Nagios, the plugins are all in
  ~nagios/libexec
and the check_commands file uses:
  $USER1$/command_name
and file "resource.cfg" defines $USER1$ to be the libexec directory.

Regards,

Simon