nagios as message log server

Jason Lancaster jason at teklabs.net
Mon Feb 23 16:02:05 CET 2004

Neil wrote:

> Assuming we have configured nagios as the central machine for doing
> machine(unified messaging system), now, one thing I don't get now is
> that if we get a message/snmp-trap that we were monitoring, how do we
> get the status back in OK state?
> Thanks.
> Neil

Is it common practice for most of you who have to send traps passively
(because your systems are behind a firewall, etc) to only send critical
or warning states? With the types of info you send, can you not return
an OK status as well? The experiences I have here with my Nagios
environment have only been with snmp monitors that will return ok,
warning, and critical values. I just use a modified version of my
ocsp_sweeper to sweep /var/log/messages looking for snmp traps and
associating oid's to service names/states and then passing the data.

Jason