nagios as message log server

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Mon Feb 23 10:38:41 CET 2004

Neil wrote:

> Assuming we have configured nagios as the central machine for doing
> machine(unified messaging system), now, one thing I don't get now is
> that if we get a message/snmp-trap that we were monitoring, how do we
> get the status back in OK state?

Use a periodic check of the service to ensure the state is correct in
the event of a missed message.

For instance if you have a series of syslog messages that should result
in a service being critical, ok, critical, ok, etc. you may miss one of
the ok events in syslog (for instance because of a network problem). So
either use a freshness check or a normal service check (possibly with a
long interval such as checking every few hours) so that the service
status will be reset.

It's more scalable to do things this way than, for instance, having
separate SNMP checks on every host/service every few minutes.

Jim