Additional Monitoring

Brian Hendrix bhendrix at stthomas.org
Wed Feb 18 19:07:26 CET 2004

I have been tasked with evaluating Nagios as a replacement for Command
Post (we call it compost!). They want $140,000 to upgrade and buy
additional licenses for our servers!

I am past the initial setup phase and our Director is impressed by what
he sees. I am monitoring Novell, Windows (2000, XP), Linux, and Unix
without any issues. However, the Intel Team Leader wants to be able to
monitor what I call "environmentals." They currently use:

Insight Manager (HP),
Open Manage (Dell), and
Director (IBM).

These tools, however, do not, as far as I know, contact you when
certain events occur such as:

High CPU, chassis temperatures,
Redundant power supply failures, or
hardware failures (disk failure in RAID array).

I was hoping someone could start by pointing me in the right direction
for monitoring these "environmentals" in Nagios. I would need to monitor
these in Windows and Novell environments.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><> ~~~
Brian Hendrix
Team Leader
DTR Services
Saint Thomas Health Services
2000 Church Street
Nashville, TN  37236

bhendrix at stthomas.org
(615) 284-5297 (work)
(615) 222-1704 (fax)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever you do, do your work heartily,
as for the Lord rather than for men
    - Colossians 3:23

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, contains
information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended
only for the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please purge it immediately and notify the sender.