service dependency clarification

Ben Whaley benjamin.whaley at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:13:13 CET 2004

On the time-saving tricks document, one of the trick for service
dependencies is as follows:

define servicedependency{
    host_name                       HOST1
    service_description             *
    dependent_host_name             HOST2
    dependent_service_description   *
    other dependency directives ...
 }

In that example, all services on HOST2 depend on HOST2. Consider the
following example:

define servicedependency{
    host_name                       *
    service_description             SERVICE1
    dependent_host_name             *
    dependent_service_description   SERVICE2
    other dependency directives ...
}

Would the example above say that SERVICE2 on all hosts depends on SERVICE1
on all hosts? For example, would SERVICE2 on some HOST1 depend on SERVICE1
on HOST2? Or would SERVICE2 on some HOST1 depend only on SERVICE1 on HOST1?

I hope my question is clear, please ask if not.

Regards,
Ben Whaley