Log-Rotation running twice

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 18 15:04:25 CET 2004

Mika Fischer <mailto:mika.fischer at to.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have a problem with our Nagios-Installation. This is a part of our
> log
> archive:
> 2402328 Feb 15 23:58 nagios-02-16-2004-00.log
> 2673896 Feb 16 23:59 nagios-02-16-2004-23.log
>      33 Feb 16 23:59 nagios-02-17-2004-00.log
>
> So it seems Nagios is rotating the logs twice. And indeed the only
> entry in the last file is: [1076972398] LOG ROTATION: DAILY
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is it normal behaviour?
>
> And does this cause any problems when calculating availability
> statistics?

Yes, it does. I had this happen to me about a year ago. The FAQ says
that it can be caused by time slew on the server but that wasn't the
case for me. At the time I didn't know what was causing it and it
eventually stopped but looking back now, I suspect that it's caused by
having multiple nagios processes running. You might try stopping nagios
then using ps to see if indeed there are other nagios processes still
hanging out and kill them if there are.

--
Marc