Monitoring BackUp Exec 8.x

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Tue Feb 17 12:35:31 CET 2004

Peter Deker Høegh wrote:

> Hello all
>

> I would like to monitor my Backup Exec 8.x installation and check if a
> job fails or completes ok. I cant find any plugins to get this job done.
>
> Can this be done via Nagios (snmp perhaps) all suggestions would be
> greatly appriciated.
>

> Info:
>
> Nagios 1.1
>
> Backup Exec 8.5 and 8.6
>
> Kind regards
>
> Peter Deker Hoegh
> Network Administrator

Assuming Backup exec has pre and post installation actions you could get
it to write a message to syslog (and from there into Nagios in a number
of ways) or, if backup exec is on the same server, use a post
installation script to submit a passive check against a defined backup
service.

OTOH if it sends a SNMP trap on a failed backup you could use that.
There is an example of setting up SNMP trap reception in the Nagios
documentation.

Jim