nagios versus big brother - opinions please.

Broun, Bevan brounb at adi-limited.com
Tue Feb 17 05:00:05 CET 2004

Hi all

We have both nagios and big brother doing monitoring here. The big brother
installation is handled by our applications team while the nagios
installations is handled by the infrastruture team. The is a bit of
fricton between the teams. We are now at the point where nagios is
installed on many servers, big brother on fewer and the applications team
wants bb installed on some servers where nagios already is. My role is as
one of two infrastructure architects to whom decision making on this sort
of stuff is given (which is not that much fun - trying to keep everybody
happy).

Im no expert in either product but favour nagios as purely on a licensing
basis. BB is free for internal, costs if you start to monitor external.
Nagios, as you all know, is GPL.

BB seems to have a slicker interface, but this is of only little
importance.

Please send any strong technical arguments in favour of one system or the
other.

Thanks

BB