passive check issues on top of my head

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Mon Feb 16 22:05:21 CET 2004

Neil wrote:

> Anyways, for my testing, I created a service-check in services.cfg
> named w3svc. And on my nagios machine, I told swatch to monitor the
> string "stopped". And also, on my perl script, I had a regexp that
> checks the string "stopped". So if it matches, it populates the
> nagios.cmd file.
> Now, here is the issue I am thinking now. Since SNARE just monitors
> the event logs, how can I be sure that the STATE that Nagios have is
> still reliable? Looks like freshness is the answer.

The problem is that you may miss a corresponding up or down event, for
instance syslog is generally udp so it would be possible to loose a
message. You can run something like a periodic batch job that will check
the status for real and send a message. Normally you could use freshness
for this as your say, but unless you can open you firewall appropriately
you cannot initiate a http check from the Nagios server (of course if
you could do this I assume you wouldn't need passive checks).

> But, my nagios can't initiate connection to the machine behind the
> firewall. And also, W3SVC or IIS World Wide Web service doesn't go
> down often.

Perhaps a  remote process that checks the status and inserts a message
into the event log if all is not well? Perhaps you could use one of the
windows remote agents (although I have no experience of this).

Jim Mozley