passive check issues on top of my head

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 14 07:17:18 CET 2004

Hey guys,

I got passive checks working. As an example, I used SNARE windows client to
send messages to Syslogd on the Nagios machine. What SNARE does is that it
monitors Windows Event logs.

I am also using swatch to monitor /var/log/messages. The remote machine I
tested was behind a firewall but is able to initiate a traffic going to the
Nagios box on port 514/UDP. This is the purpose of passive anyways. :)

Anyways, for my testing, I created a service-check in services.cfg named
w3svc. And on my nagios machine, I told swatch to monitor the string
"stopped". And also, on my perl script, I had a regexp that checks the
string "stopped". So if it matches, it populates the nagios.cmd file.

Now, here is the issue I am thinking now. Since SNARE just monitors the
event logs, how can I be sure that the STATE that Nagios have is still
reliable? Looks like freshness is the answer. But, my nagios can't initiate
connection to the machine behind the firewall. And also, W3SVC or IIS World
Wide Web service doesn't go down often.

So, what am I supposed to do now? What is the solution for this situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Neil