passive checks using nsca/send_nsca addon

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 15 20:01:49 CET 2004

Hey guys,

After battling against "checking of windows services or event logs" for 1
week, I was able to make it worked. Now, good thing, I will have a central
log system.

But today, I will be sharing configuration on how to send passive checks
result using send_nsca.exe for win32 to the NSCA daemon running on your
nagios box. This send_nsca.exe utility can be found on the Download Extras
of www.nagios.org

This will be very helpful most especially when the Windows machine you are
monitoring is behind a firewall, load balancer or a NAT device. This is
different from NRPE_NT and check_nrpe since nagios initiates a TCP session
on port 5666 then sends the command to NRPE_NT. I like NRPE_NT too but there
were occasions that I get connection refused even if all the "WATCH OUR FOR"
has been accounted for.

Here you go:

in my /usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg

define service{
       name                            nt-service-template
       active_checks_enabled           no
       passive_checks_enabled          1
       parallelize_check               1
       obsess_over_service             0
       check_freshness                 0
       freshness_threshold             28800
       notifications_enabled           1
       event_handler_enabled           1
       flap_detection_enabled          1
       process_perf_data               1
       retain_status_information       1
       retain_nonstatus_information    1
       register                        0
       is_volatile                     1
       check_period                    none
       max_check_attempts              1
       normal_check_interval           5
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  nt-admins
       notification_interval           120
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,c,r
       }

define service{
       use             nt-service-template         ; template
       host_name       rconxp
       service_description             w3svc
       check_command   ""
       }

define service{
       use             nt-service-template         ; template
       host_name       rconxp
       service_description             wuauserv
       check_command   ""
       }

in my c:\checkservices\check_wuauserv.bat
================================
@echo off
c:\windows\system32\sc query wuauserv |find "STATE"|c:\windows\system32\awk
"{print $4}" > resultfile
call filetovar.bat resultfile

if %result% EQU RUNNING (
 echo rconxp:wuauserv:0:Automatic Updates Service is in RUNNING
state|send_nsca -H 10.136.178.237 -d : -c send_nsca.cfg
) else (
 echo rconxp:wuauserv:2:Automatic Updates Service is in STOPPED
state|send_nsca -H 10.136.178.237 -d : -c send_nsca.cfg
)

in my c:\checkservices\filetovar.bat
====================================
@echo off
copy sethelp$ + %1 $tmp$.bat > nul
call $tmp$.bat
del $tmp$.bat

in my c:\checkservices\sethelp$  <- this is the magic file :) There is so
much missing in ms shell programming
=====================================
set result=

WARNING: do not press ENTER key after = siqn. Just stop at the = sign and
save it

ANOTHER TIP: You can copy sc.exe on your windows xp to your windows 2000
machine. sc.exe comes with Windows XP. I don't have windows nt 4 so I can't
say that it will work.

Lastly, awk there is not a built in utility in Window$. I just downloaded it
from somewhere. I will leave this for you, you can find it in google. This
is your exercise. hehehe :)

Let me know your feedback.

Neil