Monitoring Disk and CPU Utilization

Platt, Nicholas Nick.Platt at myflorida.com
Fri Feb 13 20:18:17 CET 2004

Hello,

I've just installed Nagios and I am very please with the product.  I'm not a
Linux guy, but the instructions have been so good that it has been an easy
experience.  Good work!  I've been able to populate the NMS with 500+ host
and monitor over 1000+ services.   I plan to grow it.   I've been asked to
monitor host CPU and host disk usage.    I've read that there is two ways
monitor this function.  One is installing a client on each server and the
other is SNMP.   Since our shop has several types of boxes and OS, for us it
is better to poll the box via SNMP.  I've not been able to find detailed
documentation on how to have Nagios poll via SNMP for disk usage.  Now, when
I say documentation, I have found a check_snmp plug-in, but did not have
enough documentation for a beginner to be able to utilize it.    Can you
point me to any check_snmp documentation that will clearly describe how I
can poll servers via SNMP?    If believe the client version is better, will
it support Unix, Linux, Novell, and NT?  You guys have always been very
supportive.  Thank you.

R. Nicholas Platt
Communication Engineer Supervisor
State Technology Office