SEC Daemon and Re: check_log not working properly

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 13 15:44:09 CET 2004

Jim Mozley writes:

> There a few reasons for not posting the full script. Firstly I'd need to
> clear it with my employer. But from a practical point of view its very
> specific to our network and management needs, unless you are running an
> MPLS network its probably not appropriate. The whole "system" actually
> consists of several scripts; some that create the services (so that as new
> devices are added/activated/changed so does the nagios config) and some
> that process the service status information from syslog messages. For this
> reason I'd have to write a paper on the background of it and how it all
> works. What I've tried to explain is the basic process for doing this.

Don't worry about posting the full script. In this way, I will be able to
learn by doing trial and error. Then if I really can't fix it anymore, I'd
post my code. :) You've been very helpful to me and probably to other
members here too that is following this thread.

The other battle I am going on now is the send_nsca for win32 I installed on
a box behind a firewall. I am confused on how that box will check for its
own service. I opened send_nsca.cfg but it was very plain. And also, in
active mode, nagios initiates the command going to NRPE_NT but in passive,
NSCA daemon just waits and does the submit check results.

I hope you can share some ideas about this scenario.

Thanks.

Neil