SEC Daemon and Re: check_log not working properly

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri Feb 13 10:58:49 CET 2004

Neil wrote:

> Jim Mozley writes:
>

>> SEC/Swatch or whatever would call a script. The script is passed the
>> syslog message and uses this to determine the status of the service
>> defined in Nagios. It then sends an appropriate external command.
>

> Ah Ok. So basically, we configure SEC/Swatch to call that magic script.
> And this magic script does an echo blah blah  >> rw.cmd with the format
> that Nagios is expecting.

Yep that's it.

> If it's ok, can you share that perl script too?

Please see the other reply, it looks like you're nearly there.

There a few reasons for not posting the full script. Firstly I'd need to
clear it with my employer. But from a practical point of view its very
specific to our network and management needs, unless you are running an
MPLS network its probably not appropriate. The whole "system" actually
consists of several scripts; some that create the services (so that as
new devices are added/activated/changed so does the nagios config) and
some that process the service status information from syslog messages.
For this reason I'd have to write a paper on the background of it and
how it all works. What I've tried to explain is the basic process for
doing this.

Jim