contact groups in hostgroups versus services?

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Fri Feb 13 01:16:13 CET 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Scott Machtmes wrote:

> Part of the confusion comes from the fact that you have to have at least
> one service for a host, commonly ping I assume as in my case. But in the
> case of the PING service.

My suspicion is that in most networks, there are very few network devices that
have no services to monitor.  I only have a couple of switches that can't be
managed, for example.. those get a PING service.. everything else has
something I can watch, even if it's just checking SNMP to see that some
packets are flowing.

> So am I correct in assuming then that I probably don't want to have
> contacts listed in the ping service that are not in the hostgroup
> contact list (from a logical, common sense point of view).

Yeah, that makes sense.  If your only service is checking ICMP, and that is
also your host check, then you probably won't ever get notified about the
service being down.  As soon as the service check fails, Nagios will execute
the host check, and theoretically that also will fail, so your host's
notification list will be...  well...  notified.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110