check host status after checking its services

Bryan Loniewski brylon at jla.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 10 21:56:13 CET 2004

Hello all,

To view my question w/out this other "extra" info skim down to the #1.

I am currently running nagios 1.0, with default "old" config style.

I just recently started to rid our hosts of check_ping as a
service and decided to use check-host-alive to determine if a host is up
or down, since we are now realizing the use of "parents" and the "Status
and Reachability of Network Hosts" we learned that check-host-alive is
needed. We have come to a roadblock, however, and I've browsed the mailing
lists, documentation, and change logs (for nagios 1.1, 1.2) for my answer,
but can't seem to find it.

I have a host foo that has 1 service https, so here's what happened.
Initially the host and service were critical, after a few hours the host
became pingable (i tested this using the exact command and args nagios
would use), the service https is still critical BUT the host is not being
updated as being UP.

Does the service need to change states before the check-host-alive plugin
is run?? (I have verified that the check-host-alive
command is NOT being run at all by having a stupid script in place of
check_ping that creates and writes to a log file,and that file never gets
created!) After reading the docs it seems after a service is checked, and
the result of that check is non-OK, the check-host-alive should be run,
what am I missing??

Bryan