Return code of 139

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Feb 6 02:40:08 CET 2004

Ben Whaley writes:

> I am getting segmentation faults for SMTP checks and SSH checks. It seems
> random; sometimes it happens when the service is OK, when it is Critical,
> etc. The error on my nagios console says:

Nope, not seen it.  Is the fault on the monitored machine or on the
monitoring machine?

>     Segmentation Fault - core dumped
>     Warning: Return code of 139 for check of service 'SMTP Check' on host
> 'xxxx' was out of bounds.

It's past 1am here, but the "139" seems familiar.  Something to do
with the remote plugin writing output to STDERR and that being sent
to Nagios.  If my failing memory is not totally screwed (which it probably
is), that is only a problem with check_by_ssh and not a problem with
check_smtp if you are calling it directly.

But you should rely on the information from somebody who has not been
drinking unless you need to deal with the problem urgently.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support