Nagios "Monitor of Monitors"

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Feb 5 22:55:58 CET 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, George Miscioscia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever done something like this? I have 4 Central servers and 4
> Distributive servers sitting in 4 datacenters, one of each per DC. The
> Central/Distributive setup is for redundancy and capacity.  I plan on
> putting Central and Distributives in another 9 data centers.  What I want to
> do is roll up the alerts to one MOM, one Central Server which does not check
> freshness or send notifications.  It's sole purpose is to provide a focal
> point for all 13 Centrals.  I have set up "submit_check_result" on the
> distro's to send to two central servers successfully and have also set up
> the centrals to "submit_check_results" to a master server after each passive
> check.  The problem is that in both cases, performance degraded on the
> central or distributive.
>
> I know that there are a few applications out there which do something like
> this, but I have found that they do not have the functionality of Nagios as
> far as sorting, etc.  I also want to keep the GUI's consistent.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> George

Take a look at check_remote_nagios_status.pl in the distribution contrib
dir...

Russell wrote it for a similar reason.  A bunch of Nagios servers running
with their own config - A central MoM looking at the status.log on the
boxes to provide summarized status.

Works great is the services are similar in each location.

--

-sg