Database storage

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 5 00:18:00 CET 2004

On Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:40 PM, Daniel Jimenez shared with us:

> All,
>
> I'm a bit confused I've been reading that some think it's a bad idea
> to store some data in databases and that this will be removed in 2.0.
> Are we talking just hostextinfo or even status/downtime?
>
> If status/downtime will continue to have the ability to be stored in
> a database then I may recompile my nagios install to dump
> status/downtime/availability data to mysql instead of text log files.
> My goal is to be able to easily manipulate the data since it is in a
> database.

Storage of host and service status in a DB will no longer be
incorporated directly into Nagios. This is being done for a lot of
reasons. In it's place, Ethan has written an Event Broker Daemon. This
will allow an external module to register itself with Nagios to receive
certain types of data. This will externalize the database processing
routines and allow the core of nagios to change without needing to
change all the database manipulation routines. It will also allow for
the support of many more types of databases or whatever you like. An
appropriate module that knows how to talk to the particular backend you
like is all that needs to be written. When 2.0 beta hits the streets it
probably won't be long before someone has written a module to emulate
the current database storage behavior. From
http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php --

Real-Time Data Output

I plan on adding an external event interface that would dump all
service/host check info, alerts, downtime events, comments, etc. from
Nagios to an external daemon via a unix domain socket. The daemon would
then pass that data off to seperate user modules (loaded at runtime)
that would process the data anyway they please. User modules will be
able to register for different types of data they want to receive from
the daemon using callback functions. This will provide an easy way for
people to write their own modules to dump data in a DB, process
performance data, etc. The event daemon is currently in development, but
will probably not be publicly released until 2.0 is into the beta
process.

--
Marc