services and hosts time

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 3 17:10:28 CET 2004

Hey guys,

Below is an entry in my services.cfg:

define service{
       use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

       host_name                       wwww421
       service_description             W3SVC - NTService
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              2
       normal_check_interval           5
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  nt-admins
       notification_interval           5
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_nrpe!check_service_w3svc
       }

and another one from hosts.cfg:

define host{
       use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

       host_name               wwww421
       alias                   Test Web Server #1
       address                 10.156.130.26
       check_command           check-host-alive
       parents                 gateway10.156.188.3
       max_check_attempts      10
       notification_interval   120
       notification_period     24x7
       notification_options    d,u,r
       }

I just noticed only now that my max_check_attempts in hosts.cfg is too high.
Looks like I just copied it from the sample. Anyways, from what I saw in
checkcommands.cfg, check-host-alive is basically PING. Someone from this
list recommended me to use max_check_attempts  equal to 2 in
services.cfg(FOR PRODUCTION).

To anyone, would you also recommended me setting max_check_attempts to 2 in
each of my hosts in hosts.cfg and likewise the notification_interval to 5?

Thanks again.

Neil