check_log not working properly

Jeff Rodriguez jeff at unixisgod.com
Mon Feb 2 01:36:03 CET 2004

Neil wrote:

> Jeff Rodriguez writes:
>

>> Well, if you're using it for syslog, you might want to check out
>> using syslog-ng and dumping your logs into a database. That'd also be
>> useful for checking the logs of multiple systems. After that making a
>> simple perl script to query the database is cake. Then again it's
>> only usefl if you're using it for syslog.
>> Jeff
>

> I actually installed evtsys and snare so I can dump Event Log of NT to
> a unix box. I got both working to send messages to my FreeBSD syslog.
> But of course, I was just testing w/c one is better.
> It seems to me that monitoring logs is a little bit a pain in the
> neck. If I would go for "dumping logs" into a database, are there any
> available check script for this?
> Thanks for the idea.
> Neil

I haven't written it /yet/.

We're using NTSyslog to do the same thing, I've written the script do
dump data from a syslog-ng FIFO into mysql.

Here's my MySQL Table with Indexes:

mysql> describe logs;
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field    | Type                | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id       | bigint(20) unsigned |      | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| facility | varchar(20)         | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| priority | varchar(20)         | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| date     | bigint(20) unsigned | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| host     | varchar(16)         | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| program  | varchar(255)        | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| message  | text                | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
7 rows in set (0.03 sec)

mysql> show index from logs;
+-------+------------+----------------------------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name                   | Seq_in_index |
Column_name | Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null |
Index_type | Comment |
+-------+------------+----------------------------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| logs  |          0 | PRIMARY                    |            1 |
id          | A         |    18488671 |     NULL | NULL   |      |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          0 | id                         |            1 |
id          | A         |    18488671 |     NULL | NULL   |      |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | facilities                 |            1 |
facility    | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | priorities                 |            1 |
priority    | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | hosts                      |            1 |
host        | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | programs                   |            1 |
program     | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | dates                      |            1 |
date        | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | facilitites_and_priorities |            1 |
facility    | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | facilitites_and_priorities |            2 |
priority    | A         |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   | YES  |
BTREE      |         |
| logs  |          1 | messages                   |            1 |
message     | A         |        NULL |        1 | NULL   | YES  |
FULLTEXT   |         |
+-------+------------+----------------------------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
10 rows in set (0.01 sec)

This setup performs pretty well, I bet it does even better without a
firewall dumping every 'deny'd packet into it. With properly tuned
indexes (which I'm still working on) and dumping everything that's more
than a month or so old it would probably scream. This is about two weeks
worth of logs:

mysql> select count(*) from logs;
| count(*) |
| 18490471 |

and it's running fine.

If you happen to write a script for this please send it to me if you can :)

Jeff